Wednesday, December 5, 2007

How Can You Achieve Your Writing Goals In 2008?

First, you have got to cognize what those ends are. Second, you necessitate a plan. (Cue subject song from "Rocky.") Whether you compose full-time, part-time or when clip permits, you necessitate a concern plan. Your concern program should include an Executive Summary. The ends you trust to accomplish this twelvemonth should consist your executive director summary. Let's say yours looks like this:

Executive Summary: A) Complete novel. B) Sell 10 articles to magazines. C) Attend one writers' conference.

Next come ups your Plan of Action. How make you be after to accomplish these goals? I'll set up three theoretical account programs of action. POA1 is for those who compose full-time. POA2 is for those who compose part-time. POA3 is for those who compose when clip permits.

POA1: In order to finish my novel and sell 10 magazine articles, I necessitate to apportion my clip to suit both goals. I necessitate to find whether I experience most originative in the morning time or in the afternoon. If I'm most originative in the afternoon, that's when I will work on my novel. I'll take attention of the non-fiction and "business" end of authorship in the morning. In order to sell 10 magazine articles, I'll necessitate to direct out tons of queries-one per week, minimum. So, each morning, I'll check up on my e-mail; hunt for markets; and get to set up a terrific, targeted query. After lunch, I'll work on my novel-achieving A lower limit end product of three pages per day. As for the writers' conference, I'll seek out the 1 that best tantrums my needs, see if it suits into my budget, and get making agreements to attend.

POA2: In order to finish my novel and sell 10 magazine articles, I necessitate to apportion my clip to suit both goals. As I have got a limited amount of clip to pass on my writing, I necessitate to a) acquire up earlier in the morning time in order to compose before I get my day; b) set aside an hr in the eventide to write; and/or c) apportion my luncheon hr three years per hebdomad to writing. In order to accomplish my ends of completing my novel and merchandising 10 magazine articles, I necessitate to pass 3/5 of my authorship clip workings on my novel and 2/5 of my authorship clip preparing the questions and articles necessary to ran into my magazine article goal. With respect to the writers' conference, I'll happen one nearby that volition conform to my agenda and my budget. Even though it might not be the best conference for me, it will let me agent/editor appointments, the chance to larn from more than experienced writers, and I will be able to web with other writers.

POA3: In order to finish my novel and sell 10 magazine articles, I necessitate to do a definite committedness to my writing. I necessitate to put aside clip at least three years a hebdomad to work on my writing. On each of those three days, I will direct work on one question to a magazine editor (brainstorming, searching for a market, and actually preparing the query) and then work on my novel. I will submit one thorough question every week. When I have got a question accepted, I will work on that article exclusively until it is finished and sent to the editor. Then I will revert back to my original program of working on one question per twenty-four hours and then work on the novel. I necessitate to have got at least four pages of my novel-or 1 scene-completed per twenty-four hours in order to accomplish my goal. It would be best for me to happen a writers' conference catering to like-minded authors who are also busy with non-writing callings and households so that Iodine might larn from them how to break pull off my clip in order to ran into my goals.

After you have got an executive director summary and an overall program of action, do a program of action for each calendar month in 2008. For instance, if you be after to submit five magazine questions per month, you should have got a subdivision on your calendar for "Submit Magazine Queries" and five boxes. Beside the five boxes, leave of absence enough space to observe the magazine to which you've queried. If you don't submit the queries, those clean spaces are confronting you each clip you open up your calendar.

Best wishings for a wonderful, productive and successful 2008!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?